The vegetarian movement has been growing in popularity for years, with more people than ever before choosing to leave meat off their plates. While this trend is evident throughout the United States, there are certain areas that are particularly vegan-friendly. California is one of these places, with an abundance of delicious and innovative vegetarian meals available at restaurants throughout the state.
If you’re looking for some new ideas when it comes to vegetarian cuisine, here are a few popular dishes worth trying out:
Popular Dishes in California
- Veggie tacos – A fusion dish featuring soft tortillas filled with grilled vegetables like peppers and onions, topped with avocado and cilantro.
- Apple avocado salad – A simple dish, consisting of slices of fresh apple with shredded carrots and a mixture of lettuce greens topped with avocado slices. We had a lot of apples given to use from Lake Forest Tree Care who cut down a few apple trees recently.
- Veggie sushi rolls – These healthy alternatives to traditional fish-based sushi feature brown rice instead of white rice, as well as vegetables like cucumber and red pepper rolled up in seaweed sheets.
- Eggplant parmesan sub – Instead of using meat to make the sandwich filling, this popular vegetarian meal is filled with thinly sliced eggplants coated in breadcrumbs before being baked until crispy. Serve on Italian focaccia bread or ciabatta for an extra tasty treat!
- Jackfruit burrito – This plant-based take on a classic burrito features jackfruit as the main ingredient. Jackfruit is a tropical fruit that has been used as alternative meat for decades and it’s finally becoming popular in the United States!
These are just a few examples of the many delicious vegetarian meals you can find in California. With such an expansive food scene, there’s something for everyone when it comes to plant-based dining. So if you’re looking for some new ideas or just want to try out something new, be sure to check out the menus at some of California’s best vegetarian restaurants!